Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why the USPS is a modern dinosaur

How many of you have had the pleasure of going to a post office lately?  Actually, that is providing you can find one that is ever open when you might need to use it. 

I had a notice on my door today the post office attempted a delivery on a package I was expecting from amazon.com, that they shipped with "free shipping".  A signature was required.  The options were show up at my local post office, who's hours are 9am to 4pm Monday through Friday, or request redelivery when someone was at home between the hours of 9am until 6pm on the day of my choosing, Monday through Friday.  Well, for most of us 99% are working during those hours and it is neither practical for me to take off work for a day in hopes that the post office actually delivers the parcel or either be late or leave early so we can accommodate the bankers hours that the USPS employees enjoy.

I'm probably going to go to work late tomorrow just because I want this package before Thanksgiving, but I'll stipulate on any further orders that the USPS is not to be involved.

The post office is losing BILLIONS of dollars a year, while providing crappy service, complete with high government union salaries and pensions that have nothing to do with productivity.  This is a perfect example of how the government "businesses" fail us time and time again while private companies like FedEx and UPS provide great customer service, on time deliveries, even on cheaper ground service, and make it easy for pick-up and redelivery.  They both operate well into the black, while the USPS hellorages billions every year, with their diminishing first class mail business, bulk rate mail, and parcel post.  Bad customer service and limited office hours just sours the mix.  Postal employees are all high paid civil servants and under union contracts, we taxpayers still have to pay them even if they get laid off.

Other government services are just as bad.  Think how wonderful it is to deal with the Social Security Administration, or Medicare.  Think how wonderful all of our health care will be once ObamaCare kicks in with all it's sundry agencies, bureaucrats, and bean counters making decisions on what kind of medical care we will receive.  Will I, a MS sufferer be denied expensive drugs that my private insurer grudgingly allowed after a long protracted fight?  Or will it be, like President Obama said, "can't he just take a pill?"

The less the government is in my life the better off I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment