Sunday, December 30, 2012

Movie, TV and video violence

I don't blog all that much, and I'm not a great writer.  I'm an engineer, and my brain is not wired to be a great man of words.  It took me a long time for me to absorb all that happened at the invasion and mass murder of innocent school children and their teachers in Newtown, CT.  First, I know this town, as I passed through it frequently when traveling to Sikorsky Aircraft in Stratford from Binghamton, NY back in the late 1980's, and always found it to be a nice, if picturesque small New England town on the way to some of the crap holes along Long Island Sound, namely Stratford and Bridgeport.

After the initial shock wore off about this horrible crime against civilization I thought seriously about what we as a country can do to minimize these attacks again.  I say minimize because, there is no way we can stop them completely, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  First I thought about disturbed people who do not get proper diagnosis and treatment.  I know "progressives" think that the solution is gun control.  Sadly psychopaths  don't care much about laws like this anymore than common criminals, and gun control laws will only take arms away from law abiding citizens who use then for protection, hunting or recreational use.  No, mass murder does not require fire arms, it can be done with machetes, knives, and swords. 

Then I thought that maybe it might be the culture of violence that America has not only become accustom to but celebrates.  Well, the western movies were often violent, especially the Sam Peckinpaw flicks of the 60's and the 70's, along with the Sergio Leone Spaghetti westerns.  Did they cause Charles Manson to go nuts and go on a killing spree?  How about the Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry Movies?  I don't think that John Wayne Gasey or Ted Bundy were affected by these.

Violence on TV and movies has been attacked by Liberals for a long time.  Moe Howard from the Three Stooges lamented on the Mike Douglas Show a few years before he died, back in the early 1970's about the attack on the Stooges by the Cleveland area PTA, who successfully got the Stooges shorts banned from the airwaves there because they thought their comedy caused violent outbursts in the American youth.  Moe was a man ahead of his time.

I've come to the conclusion that we can never stop crazy people, and evil people from doing these crazy and evil acts.  All we can do is try to get these people who are mentally ill some treatment, and get the homeless people who have often been released from mental hospitals by do gooder progressives who think they are better off on the street, rather than in facilities that can help deal with their illness.

I've had some family losses over the past few years, and though not in such a horrific manner.  I can really sympathize with with the families who lost their children, and my heart goes out to all of them.  But please folks, don't let the gun grabbing leftists tell you that the problem is with guns.  It's not, the problem is with the human condition.  We as a nation have to figure out how we can prevent these tragic events from happening in the future.  Politicians are not helping us in this conversation right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment