Tuesday, June 25, 2013

TSA's Double Standards

This past week I flew out of Memphis International Airport and had to strip down to my pants and shirt for the full body x-ray scan, and then a groping because my right ankle has pins in it that go back to an athletic injury when I was 17 years old.  I've never been happy with this, but grudgingly have come to live with it, as a frequent traveler.  I'm not sure it has stopped or ever will stop a terrorist attack on an airplane, as I've always been a fan of the Israeli model of (the horrors) profiling of potential terrorists.  But in our current politically correct environment, it is not going to happen until there is a nuclear or chemical attack on the US.

But I digress......

Today I was also going through TSA screening at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport (AVP), whose name is bigger than the airport.  TSA at AVP lost their full body scanner to a larger airport that needed it, supposedly because of sequester, and I was "forced" to walk through just a plain old metal detector that I've been dealing with all my flying life.  My checked bag was searched by hand and the poor bastard got to see my dirty undies.  I did not get patted down, and it seemed like the good old days before some TSA person got his/her jollies comparing penis and breast sizes from the x-ray photos.

Ok, I'm making fun of those hard working unionized government "workers" who spent hours standing around waiting for a flight to depart or arrive, but there is a bigger issue here.

If these full body scanners are supposed to be the end all, be all of airport security, why has a small town airport like AVP lost theirs.  All terrorists need to know if they have something that can get through the metal detector in podunk USA, they can board a major airline flight and reek havoc at their next stop.

The real problem is that the full body scanners have not done a damn thing to make our country more secure, and just hassles legitimate travelers.  So business travelers, if you want to avoid long lines in the northeast airports with the intrusive searches, try some places that don't have them anymore like Scranton, Binghamton, and Ithaca.

And don't worry about ethnic profiling in those places, the Dagos, Micks, and Pollacks ain't gonna put up with a raghead showing up in their airport without a cavity search.  No scanner needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment