Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Multiple Sclerosis

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis several months ago, and apparently have had it in a lower form for decades..  Someone in their mid-50's doesn't come down with this.  Though it is certainly not a death sentence (you die with it not from it), it is not something anyone wants to deal with.  I know that it has been hyped on TV for years, but rheumatoid arthritis is just as bad, if not worse, and does not get all that much attention.  I have friends who suffer from both.  I've recently been put on chemotherapy treatment that has kicked the crap out of me, and after talking to others who have gone through the same thing, I'm convinced that the treatment is worse than the disease.  Being sick for 5 days out of the month is not acceptable to me, nor is a reduced immune system.

I'm posting this here because, quality of life is important.  I do not get a lot of MS episodes, YET, and I hope I can keep them at bay by other interferon drugs.  Autoimmune diseases are no fun, but when the treatments are worse than the treatment, it is time to say no more.

1 comment:

  1. 5 very bad days in hospital following a severe reaction to remicade has indeed proven to me that the cure was worse than the disease (ra).while many enjoy the benefits of cutting edge medicine there are those whose bodies can't tolerate it. i was one sick cookie.
    i'll tough it out with old fashioned steroids. there is an abundant supply of info regarding treatment options and we must learn as much as possible to direct our care in a way that reflects our wishes.i applaud your efforts to find treatments that align with your daily life.

    ReplyDelete